St. Martha Catholic Church
Procedures for Marriage Preparation and Setting a date
St. Martha Parish welcomes you and congratulates you as you come to request marriage in the Catholic Church. The celebration you are planning and the lifelong commitment you are choosing to make are a sign of God’s great love for us all. The following information is intended to assist in your planning process.
Marriage Preparation: Please call the parish office at 281-358-6637 to register for an upcoming Marriage Preparation Information Meeting. The information meeting is held once a month (normally a Wednesday evening, 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm) at the parish office.
In order to set the date - A date may not be set until the following has occurred:
- You have attended an Information Meeting. Call 281-358-6637 to register.
- The Prepare-Enrich assessment has been completed online.
- The bride and groom have met at least once with a priest or deacon and freedom to marry has been determined by the priest or deacon.
- The priest or deacon sets the date on his calendar, the church calendar, and confirms the date with you.
Once the date is set:
- Liturgy and music: Please contact Gayle Hogwood our liturgy coordinator at 281-358-6637 ext 210 or firstname.lastname@example.org and Liz Himanga the wedding rehearsal coordinator at 281-360-5707
- Please contact the parish office (281-358-6637) to register for the Catholic Teaching on Marriage session: 2:00 pm, Saturday, June 1 or August 3, or October 5, or December 7 (Choose one session). This class is located in the Parish Office.
- Please contact the parish office (281-358-6637) to register for the Natural Family Planning class – June 19, August 28, or December 4. (Choose one session). This class is located in the Parish Office.
- St. Martha parish provides a sponsor couple program - “For Better and For Ever” – couples meet in the sponsor couple’s home for five meetings. Ask your clergy to contact the coordinator to begin this program. Or if you prefer, a weekend Engaged Encounter is offered through the archdiocese; www.archgh.org. Discuss each option with your clergy.
- If you are Catholic, a newly issued baptism certificate is required, (not your original baptism certificate). Contact the church where you were baptized and ask them to send you a newly issued certificate.
- If you are not a member of the Catholic Church and are baptized in another faith, proof of the baptism will be requested. It can be an original certificate or a letter from your parents.
- A “Witness Affidavit of Freedom to Marry” form – two for the bride and two for the groom
- A civil marriage license (this cannot be obtained more than 30 days or less than 72 hours) prior to the wedding).
- To help cover the cost for the use of the new church, a $500.00 fee is requested. You may mail your check to St. Martha Catholic Church, Attn: Francine, 4301 Woodridge Pkwy, Porter, TX, 77365. Please mention your wedding date and the clergy person you are working with.
- You are welcome to also extend a gift to the priest or deacon officiating at your wedding and give your gift directly to the priest or deacon.
If you are not registered and do not live within the parish boundaries, you are advised to contact your local Catholic parish. If they are unable to assist you, please ask the pastor or his representative to contact us.
Has either the bride or groom (Catholic or non-Catholic) ever been married before?
If yes, please contact Francine at 281-358-6637 before beginning marriage preparation.
Questions for your prayer and reflection throughout this marriage preparation process:
- Am I called to make a life-long commitment with this person?
- What may help me to grow closer to Christ and stay connected in the Church?
Recommended Marriage Enrichment Opportunities open to all couples (whether engaged, married six days or sixty years!).
- A New Way to Love series
- Couple Prayer series